Welcome to the Volunteer project and what it can offer.
The BIG Lottery funded Winning Women volunteer project is a very busy and important part of the Preston Road Women’s Centre. Big Lottery Fund announced a further five years of funding for this important project in November 2014.
Volunteering is when women give up their time to work freely with no financial gain. We have lots of new and established volunteers joining and developing together. The volunteers are of all ages and backgrounds and these women give thousands of volunteering hours per year.
How to become a volunteer
You can drop into Winner anytime between 10am and 4pm Monday to Friday, enrol on our in-house 5 week volunteer training course which is one day per week and for which you receive an Open College Network recognised qualification. When you have completed the course, if you decide to become a volunteer with us there will be an induction into the project with our Volunteer co-ordinator who will then support you in your new role as a volunteer. She can also provide ongoing support throughout your volunteering.
- Reception Work - Come and be part of our reception team and learn some new skills that you could add to your C.V. and help you progress into employment.
- Social Activities - Including Health, Drop-ins, Get-togethers, Craft groups, Fundraisers, Children’s activities and the Complementary Therapies Group, volunteers lead on all of these activities
- Charity Shop - Come and learn retail skills that can be taken to any other shop and help you get paid work.
- Umbrella Project - Offers support and safe homes for women and children. Come and support the project team with admin tasks, and working with tenants and other agencies.
- Domestic Violence - Shadow a worker within the team and support women with issues around domestic abuse, benefits, debt, housing and attending appointments.
- Befriending - support local women who may be isolated at home and encourage them to get involved in their local community
Free Child Care
There is on–site childcare available to women using the service, attending courses and volunteering. This facility is subject to funding. There are lots of opportunities for volunteering within the centre, and often our volunteers have some fantastic ideas for creating new roles. More details for each role are available to women applying to volunteer in the centre.